Sunday, April 3, 2011

Death-Why so Young?

This weekend I attended two funerals.  Each different in many ways and alike in a few.  Both were part of a family that loved them.  Both were parents.  Both left children behind.  Both cared about the people in their lives.

The differences were amazing...one, a mother of three boys, died from breast cancer.  She fought a good fight, but her body couldn't go on anymore.  The other, a father of a daughter, died from his addiction.  He choose to put poison into his body that allowed death to knock on his door. 

The mother had asked for a pastor to meet with her three weeks before she died.  She discussed her salvation with him.  She planned with her parents how the services would go and how her children would be prepared for her death.  She made a point of letting her sons know that they were loved and she planned for their future.

The father lived a life that society doesn't consider normal.  His homelife was different from her's in many ways.  He allowed the addiction to rule his life.  He was given every chance to come clean.  He was sent to the best facilities to heal, he had the best doctors, he had a job that he liked, and he had family that loved him.  He couldn't overcome the need to poison his life.

They both were what I considered young...late thirties, early forties.  Why did they die?  What can I learn from it?  

I have decided that I need to plan for the future.  The first thing I am doing is adding to my life insurance.  I am writing a will.  I am writing letters to my children.  I want them to know that they are the best thing I have ever done.  I want my family to know that I love them.  I want my friends to know I admire them.  Starting this week, I will write to one person in my life to tell them what they mean to me.  I want to make my life mean something. 

Pray for my friends.  Pray for their children.  And pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment