Saturday, January 29, 2011

Dalton's Goodbye

In college they forgot to cover a lot of things that happen in the classroom.  But one thing they totally forgot is how to say goodbye.  Today is the funeral of a former student.  No one told me about this part of teaching.  Since I began teaching, I have stood at the graves of several of my students hurting.  Most of them spent a year telling me their secrets, giving me hugs, and sharing their world.  But Dalton was different.  He came into my life when his older sister was in my class.  As a mischievous, little kindergartener, he followed big, sister, Allie around.  He wanted to do everything she did.  She read, so he wanted to read.  She climbed the monkey bars, so up he went.  Every step she took, he was right with her.  Two years later, he was in 2nd grade following once again in her footsteps.  He absorbed books.  He wanted to discuss them all.  He was tetherball champion of the world (at least in his head.)


When my daughter was three, Dalton and Allie were her babysitters for the summer.  They spent time carrying her, holding her, reading to her, and basically fighting over her.  Everyday I would return to their home to see her chasing Dalton or him toting her around to avoid the dog she was scared of.  Having an older brother has meant that she always preferred boys.  Allie wanted so bad to be Taylor's favorite, but it wasn't meant to be.  Dalton was the one she talked about and ran to be picked up.  She quickly learned that Allie was good for snacks and getting read to, but Dalton was the one to rough house with. 

Today, my friend Tara will say goodbye to her baby.  She shouldn't have to do that.  Mothers should never bury their child, but I know she will do it was grace and in the will of God.  I admire her so much.  She is a great mother that lives to make her children's lives better.  I am saying a prayer for her.  She has a long road in front of her, but I believe in her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment